Police arrest four after high-speed chase

November 3rd, 2019|0 Comments

Police arrested four men on Friday after a high-speed chase from Paget to Southampton.

A police spokesman said the driver was later charged with a series of offences and two of the passengers were held for warrants.

The fourth was released without charge.

The spokesman said: “At around 12.30pm on Friday police officers on mobile patrol in a police vehicle along South Road in Paget observed that a car travelling east along the same road was unlicensed and one of the occupants was acting suspiciously, changing his shirt.”

The car was stopped at the Paget Plaza and the officers approached the vehicle.

The spokesman said: “At that time one of the rear passengers attempted to exit the car, but was stopped from doing so.

“The driver then started the vehicle and accelerated out of the car park, travelling west on South Road, Paget.

“Other police vehicles joined the first police vehicle in pursuing the car along South Road on to Middle Road, Paget and into Warwick — where a minor damage only collision occurred with another private car that had pulled to the side of the road — before the car driver continued on, causing other motorists to take evasive action.”

The chase came to an end in the area of Whale Bay Road, Southampton, at which point three of the people in the vehicle attempted to run away.

The spokesman added: “A small quantity of cannabis, drug equipment and a knife were discovered in the car.”

The driver, a 27-year-old Sandys man, was ticketed for traffic offences and released on police bail for offences which included assault on police, possession of a bladed article and possession of drug equipment.

Two of the passengers — 29-year-old Ashun Hassell and 18-year-old Shae Hassell — appeared in court for outstanding warrants on Monday.

The elder of the two paid outstanding fines and was released, while a social inquiry report has been ordered for the second before he was released on $2,000 bail with a surety.

The third passenger, said to be a 24-year-old Sandys man, was released without charge.

Leave A Comment